Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bagels- Yes I Made Bagels!

I know I haven't posted anything in awhile, I was just caught up in life. I was reading the Awesome 20's board on the WW site and I saw that one of the girls there had posted about making bagels. She posted the recipe, and I copied it as something to try out. I was intimidated to try this, but they were much easier to make then I thought they would be! Here is the recipe:

Bagels
  • 4-5 cups flour (I used white all purpose, because that is what I had)
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp yeast
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • pinch of salt
Proof the yeast (mix water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and allow to foam and rise up a bit). Add flour 1 cup at a time until you can't add anymore. Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter top and kneed in a little more flour. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth. Use the oil to coat a large bowl, put the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for about 15 minutes.

While waiting for the dough to rise, boil a large pot of water. Once boiling add a pinch of salt to the water. Pre-heat the oven to 450F. After 15 minutes, take the dough out of the bowl and cut into pieces. Form into bagels by rolling out dough and putting the ends together. Drop formed bagels into boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds, turning once. Remove from water. Once all bagels are done, this is the time to add seeds or other flavourings. Use a pastry brush and brush a little milk on the tops of the bagels. This will help them brown nicely. Bake until golden, approximately 10 minutes for small bagels and 15 minutes for large.

16 4" bagels
work out to 3P+ each.
** These turned out yummy! I am excited to eat bagels, as I haven't had them in awhile. They may not be beautiful, but they are good. Even Matt liked them. :)


Enjoy~ Eryn

No comments:

Post a Comment